Thursday, October 18, 2012

The People You Meet

It's amazing. The people you meet. 

I'm not talking about the people whose name you know, whose glance you exchange, or whose statuses you read. I'm talking about the people that you talk to when you're sitting at the bus stop, or waiting for food at a fast food restaurant, or when you're out walking with no other intention other than to walk. 

For instance, outside my workplace, is a bus stop. When I first started working at Education Action, I would see this small set Asian lady walking around outside the bus stop, sitting at the bus stop, sitting on the concrete block by the bus stop, waiting for 11 o'clock when the restaurant she worked at opened and she was able to start the chopping of the spring onions. One day I decided that I would approach her, as I do, and it turns out she is quite an interesting lady. Her name is Benh (pronounced Beeng), she is half Vietnamese, half Cambodian, she speaks Cantonese, survived the Khmer Rouge, lives in my neighbourhood, and has an emerging confidence in English. She is friendly, she has taught me some words in Khmer, she is always interested in my own stories about Cambodia, and now everyday that I see her, I call out my window to her (totally professional, right?) and usually walk downstairs just to have a conversation. I love that Benh is my friend. 

I would never have been able to know that Benh was such an interesting person had I not decided to have that first conversation with her. She would not be my friend today if God had not prompted me to see the people behind the people I see. In all our typing, document producing, emailing, article reading, overseas travelling, make-up wearing, club-forming, tertiary studying, life-living, let's not forget that what is most important in this world is people. And last time I checked, people, not products, are most important to God.

"Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples."
John 13:35

I want to LOVE to shine God's love,

Adellz.



No comments:

Post a Comment